Restaurant History

In a heart of the city at the corner of Nevsky Avenue and Moika River Embankment on two floors there is the Literary cafe storing traditions of Petersburg of former times. At the beginning of the XIX century on this place there was S. Wolf and T. Brenger's well-known candy store in which known writers met, poets, journalists where there was Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin and from where he went on fatal duel on the Black small river.

The second floor is executed in style of the best salons restaurants of the XIX century, so valued by Russian aristocrats. In the evenings from 19.00 till 23.00 on the second floor of Literary Cafe restaurant for you the grand piano, an accordion, a pipe, a contrabass sounds. In more detail you can examine repertoire in the special section of our site "Musical Program". As for the menu of the second floor, a distinctive feature are refined dishes of the Russian-French kitchen which prepare according to ancient recipes of a Pushkin time.

The literary cafe is a harmonious combination of Russian cuisine and the Russian culture, modern level of service and traditions of Petersburg to its romanticism and the unique atmosphere of old times.

… in the first years of existence of the Northern capital on this place there was a small lodge of the associate Peter the Great vice admiral Cornelius Ivanovich Kryuys.

In 1738 the house passed to the tailor Johann Neumann. Neumann's house came a two-storeyed facade to Moika, and at the Nevsky was looked by the long, quite sad party which not so doesn't have windows. And it emphasizes that to the main, most elegant street of Petersburg to this pershpektivny road was still far. If in the architectural relation the house wasn't something interesting, in the history of the everyday relations of Petersburgers it deserves attention. Here for the first time in Petersburg there was a wax museum. Advertizing claimed: "At us it is possible to see the person of the king of French with the queen, a dauphin and princesses... As all highest surname of the king of English and all most notable ministers... in perfect greatness of their growth, in a dress and with all attire in which they at court went... ". The museum existed only a year, probably, zazyvaniye were more colourful, than wax persons.

In 1743 the German merchant Johann Albrecht in Neumann's house traded in really magic services from a serpantinovy stone, "which don't suffer anything poisonous". For the XVIII century such property of plates and cups had important value. And absolutely the proposal of a certain Frenchman Charpentier to buy from it good powder the whole barrels already funny looked. Even if to consider that women of fashion of that time very much liked to be powdered, such volumes couldn't but discourage. The Dutch dealer Le Roa contained in Neumann's house shop under the loud name "Rotterdam" where sold Seltzer water, excellent chocolate, vanilla and... ink of different grades. At last the house passes to the merchant Kotomin. Once serf princes Kurakinykh, he in twenty years scared together a huge fortune and decided to build the house palace as though competing in beauty with standing on the opposite side of the Nevsky by the kurakinsky house with columns on a place of the ordinary house. Perhaps, it is mere chance, or perhaps and the vain plan defined a choice of this place. And Kotomin that the building belonging to it competed on beauty to the princely house undoubtedly wished.

The architect Stasov decorates the building new under construction with a majestic portico, and on corners of the house creates original four-columned loggias. On that corner of the house of Kotomin which is turned to Moika, one of the best-known candy stores of Nevsky Avenue opened. About it newsdealers wrote as about the delicacy and prodigality temple, as about the works of art created from sugar, chocolate, meringue. Here both figures of knights, and portraits, and busts of the well-known people, figures of various animals and fantastic locks. There was the such culinary and pedagogical alphabet created from exotic sweets. It is now difficult to establish: whether such way helped careless pupils to seize the alphabet quicker.

In the middle of the XIX century in the house Kotominykh the large book-store settled down. And near it Yeliseyev' family, well-known to all Russia, while for them on the same Nevsky opposite to a monument to Catherine II the huge and grandiose building wasn't built traded. In 1846 "for broadening of the sidewalk" loggias were liquidated and the portico is destroyed. The house dropped out at once of a Pushkin era, became bulky and unfriendly. What happiness that years thirty to the house in many respects returned its original state back: restored porticoes with three-quarter columns on height of two floors, returned some details of a decor. It wasn't succeeded to return a portico only. Unfortunately, too narrow was in this place Nevsky Avenue.

Again from a non-existence Wolf and Brenger's candy store returned on the place. Restorers made a lot of things that the situation in it reminded of when in these walls there were Pushkin and his many friends. And here one of the memorable and mournful events, connected with this house. On January 27, 1837, about four o'clock in the afternoon, in an angular entrance where there was a candy store, A.S. Pushkin came. He waited here for the second Danzas. Before fatal duel there was less than an hour. From here he the last time looked at favourite Nevsky Avenue. The meeting took place. The poet drank a water or lemonade glass (Danzas didn't remember). They sat down in sledge to go to the Black small river. Some days later the ambassador of death of Pushkin in a candy store from hand to hand passed young Lermontov's angry verses "On the death of the poet" …